10.02.2011

cowboy party ~ hobby horse

Our son turns 3 at the end of the month so that means it's time for party planning! We're going for a cowboy or wild west theme. It is fun because we get to incorporate his Halloween costume into whatever party theme we are having! That it until he let's me! I've been saving up some cowboy ideas that I've seen on the web for a while now and since October is jam packed with fun things to do, I needed to get a move on making his gifts and planning his party.

This first thing I made this weekend was a hobby horse. I first saw this tutorial on lightbluegrey (I love that name! and I love Hetty's header!). I saw another great tutorial on dandee, which I loved as well. I combined to two with things I had on hand.

The only things I had to buy were the socks and the stick. I bought the socks on clearance at Target for $2.00 (for 2 pairs so I get to wear one) and the stick I found at JoAnn's (which was cheaper than at Home Depot and the perfect length). I had a 40% off coupon so it cost about $2.00 as well. So for $4.00 I was able to make this hobby horse and give myself a pair of grey (my favorite color) socks!

I stuffed the horse's head and then felt it was not opaque enough, so stretched the 2nd sock of the pair over the top. For the eyes, I used some old buttons and added a hole punch of black paper for the pupil and glued it on top. The yarn I found a few months ago at the thrift store, knowing it would some day come in handy! Since I don't knit or crochet, I had no idea what I would use it for, but that is why thrifting is so great! You just know!

I can't wait to see what our son thinks of it!

2 comments:

  1. That horse is adorable...my daughter would love one of those! I'll add it to my ever-increasing list of things I'll get around to one day...

    ReplyDelete

dear readers, i love your comments & questions! if you prefer you may e-mail me : aprilscraftnest at gmail dot com